Cajun Black-Eyed Peas
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In:
Serve this flavorful dish over brown rice for a hearty dinner, or alone as a lite lunch.
- 1/3 Cup Red Onion
- 7 Stalks Green Onions or Scallions
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro
- 4 Teaspoons Poblano Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3/4 Cup Ultrabroth organic vegetable broth
- 2 Cans (15 ounces each) Black Eyed Peas
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes crushed
- Sea Salt to taste
- Dice by hand or food processor the red onion, green onion, cilantro and poblano pepper. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add all onions, garlic, and poblano pepper. Sauté the vegetables for 2–3 minutes until aromatic then add the vegetable broth.
- Pour beans from can into strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Add the beans, lemon juice, and all spices and herbs to the vegetable broth. Simmer 20–25 minutes while stirring occasionally until beans and vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and either enjoy warm or chill and serve.