Artichoke Hearts with Caramelized Onions and Herb Dressing

Artichoke Hearts with Caramelized Onions and Herb Dressing

By Published:

• Yield: 4
  • Prep:
  • Cook:
  • Ready In:

This recipe can be part of a great antipasto, and is best made ahead of time.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Julienne the red and yellow onions.
  2. Drain and rinse the artichokes. Combine artichokes with 2 tbsp of olive oil, minced garlic, and spices in a bowl. Spread out mixture onto a sheet pan and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, artichokes will be slightly soft and browned—do not burn.
  3. On medium heat, in a sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the red and yellow onions and sauté on medium for 5–6 minutes. When the onions start to brown, reduce the heat and cook for an additional 15–20 minutes, stir as needed to keep from burning. Once the onions are caramelized, stir in the lemon juice and cook until the liquid is evaporated. Do not burn the onions.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the roasted artichokes and caramelized onion mixture. Gently mix until everything is evenly combined.
  5. Chill.

, , ,

13 Responses to Artichoke Hearts with Caramelized Onions and Herb Dressing

1. spaccio hogan November 15, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Extremely good article. I am a hypnotherapist and agree wholeheartedly with your article

2. Nick Raven May 5, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Most strange you recommend using Artichoke from a Tin Can, fresh is far superior to what is offered in a Tin Can…plus the High Sodium found within all Tin – Canned foods…not good at all. Not to mention the possible contamination, toxins found in the Metal tin can…most certainly leach direct into foods contained within Metal/tin. Canned…tinned foods are not safe to eat…Best avoided…do not not use…always eat/use fresh vegetables, when preparing your meals…fresh vegetables for a healthy body & soul…the truth.

• Denise July 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

I found that strange too. Much better to use frozen or fresh.

3. Barbara Laughlin May 5, 2012 at 11:44 am #

I have just purchased your book “The Blood Sugar Solution” and can’t stop reading it. I have had type 2 Diabetes for about 20 years and am being put on more and more oral medications. I have lost about 20 lbs but my blood sugars are not going down and my doctor wants to start me on insulin. I am fighting doing this and am so happy to read about your program. Finally, something that makes sense to me. I will probably start the program after I’ve read all of the book.

Thank you for bringing this important information to light.

4. Cathi May 5, 2012 at 11:58 am #

I really need to see nutritional information for recipes. We don’t usually use canned veggies because of the sodium content.

5. Victoria Tietje May 14, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

How do we get more recipes??? I love them so much and not opening any other cookbook in my house. More recipes please!-

6. Victoria Tietje May 14, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I love your recipes and hardly ever open any other cookbooks in my house. MORE recipes PLEASE!!-victoria

7. Margaret White May 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Nick, I agree that it’s strange to include canned vegetable in a recipe. A great percent of my meals are fresh, too. However, I think about the my friends and family members who would think of this recipe as highly healthful – a change from their mayonnaise filled potato salad, American cheese covered broccoli and boxed macaroni and cheese. So, if you look at this recipe somewhere in the middle, it can be included since it also has unprocessed onion, garlic, lemon, olive oil and tasty herbs.

• cindy June 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

You can buy frozen Artichoke hearts they taste and work in recipes just the same. My Italian Jewish mother-in-law could not find her preferred brand of artichokes for her antipasti while visiting us so I suggested we buy frozen ones and she made a marinade and roasted some and we ate the rest fresh from the marinade. I agree with Margaret and think our bodies (and I can only speak for mine) agree too, they need all the help they can get and if we have to use a can of something here or there it’s all good.

8. goldie June 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Canned artichoke hearts?? I thought that was weird too. Don’t even need to bake-they are already ready to eat.
    Might as well top canned green beans with the sauteed onions.

9. Patty Merritt June 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

I bought your book, Dr. Hyman. But where on the website can I find downloadable printable cheat sheet: Eat Your Medicine? And where can I find where to order your favorite protein powders?

10. バーバリー アウトレット November 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this excellent blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!