Soy-Marinated Tofu

Soy-Marinated Tofu

By Published:

• Yield: 4 Servings
  • Prep:
  • Cook:
  • Ready In:

Tofu infused with a melange of Asian flavors and ingredients. Serve with Asian Vegetable Salad for an attractive presentation. Allow time to press and drain the tofu before cooking.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Cut the tofu into 2 equal pieces. Slice each piece in half, horizontally, making a total of 4 slices. To press and drain the tofu, place the slices in a single layer, on a shallow dish or tray, with paper towels underneath and on top of the tofu. Place another dish or tray on top of the tofu and weight it down with several cans of food or a heavy skillet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine the tamari, rice wine vinegar, dark sesame oil, and red chili paste in a small bowl.
  3. After the tofu has drained, discard the excess liquid and pat the tofu dry with a paper towel. Place the tofu in a shallow dish and pour the soy sauce marinade over it. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Marinating longer will give the tofu a more intense flavor.
  4. Heat the light sesame oil over medium-high heat in a skillet large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer. Cook the tofu for about 3 minutes on each side, until brown and beginning to crisp. Remove to a plate when finished cooking.
  5. Serve with Asian Vegetable Salad.

, , ,

13 Responses to Soy-Marinated Tofu

1. Laura September 12, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Hi, just wondering what the logic of having so many soy-based recipes is? Dr. Hyman talks about soy being one of the most commonly allergenic foods for people, but then has recipes featuring tofu? Please clarify, thanks.

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD September 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Hi Laura, thank you for your comment. Some people are allergic to soy and should avoid it, but for those who are not and like soy products there are a lot of good recipes to share.

Wishing You the Best of Health!

2. Cheryl November 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Is balsamic vinegar OK? How about apple cider vinegar?

3. cathi April 3, 2012 at 11:19 am #

what about sugar? Is there any type at all that can used in moderation?

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD May 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Hi Cathi,

Dr. Hyman prefers yours source of sugars come from food, not refined sweeteners. Slow carbohydrates from vegetables, berries, legumes etc. Once in a while using a little honey, fruit or rapadura cane sugar is ok. The goal is to make it the excpetion to the diet, not the rule. And of course this is only if your blood sugar tolerates sugar!

4. PradA May 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

tofu and Soy are bad for you. I was told that they mess up your hormones, is this true?

5. Elaine Carrillo May 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Dear Staff of Dr. Hyman,
    I am so confused. I have been researching, reading, watching and listening for months now to try to find the best diet for my type II diabetic husband. We are ready to get down with anything that really helps him! We have the time, money and education to make a change in lifestyle that might save his life. However, after reading the list of doctors who claim to have the answers…I am overwhelmed.
    Here is my partial list of reads:
    Dr. Campbell
    Dr. Esselstyn
    Dr. Berstein
    Dr. Barnard
    Dr. Fhurman
    Dr. Hyman
    and the list goes on as you well know.

Some say olive oil is good, no oil, no carbs, more protein, less protein, honestly, any way I go I feel that I might help m y husband or put his life in danger! Is there no middle ground? Dr. Hyman’s book, The Blood Sugar Solution, seems to be the closest to the middle right now. However, I worry that some of these books and programs are too “slick”,
    more about making money than helping people.

I went to Barnes and Noble with a rubric. Here’s what I looked for:

nutrition-based books for diabetics
    publishing dates from 2010 to now
    clear jump-start programs for us to follow for a number of weeks or so
    recipes that included suggested breakfasts, lunches and dinners
    pictures, graphs and “real people” wording

Dr. Hyman’s book is in the lead at this point, but then I searched the internet and found some “experts” with almost opposite views and countless “personal testimonials” of success. And,of course, the people who dispute the data.

My head is a merry-go-round with eat soy, don’t eat soy (saw your article and it helps) eat oil, no oil, carbs are bad, carbs are good, meat is deadly, we are meat eaters (saw Forks over Knives and read Omnivores Dilemma) and so on…

My motto used to be “There is no such thing as too much information”, pretty good since I am a teacher. But I’m starting to rethink that.

Can you clear a path for me, us? My husband recently went on an insulin pump and the insulin has made him gain weight. At this point he feels that all the meds are killing him and I agree. But we don’t want to jump off into some “pie in the sky” plan that ultimately hurts his health or puts him at risk. The new “plant based” stuff looks great and promising, but even that is becoming a little too slick, commercialized and so on.
    I was all up for buying your book online with the one month of free dietitian help until I saw the $19.99 monthly charges automatically after the first month. Red flags went up all over the place. I hate those sneaky charges that show up and take months to get off your bank accounts. So, I decided not to risk that.

Just FYI, I am so middle American it is embarrassing. If I am thinking it…you can bet your last dollar that millions more middle American’s are also.

Anyway, I ramble. Back to the path clearing, help?

Warm regards,
    Elaine Carrillo
    New Mexico, USA

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD June 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

Hi Elaine,
      Thank you for sharing your concerns about the confusion regarding what to do! Yes it is really tough to discern all the different plans out there. We sympathize with the mere stress embedded in making decisions in addition to the implicit stress of a sick loved one. Dr. Hyman’s book is very realistic and written so that the participant can lead his or herself through the healing process WITHOUT PAYING A PENNY TO A DOCTOR FOR A VISIT! Essentially, Dr. Hyman is giving a thousand dollar worth advice for a the cost of the book. The cost of food and supplements is real, but this will be your husbands medicine. He has to eat to live so why not ensure that your money towards food is so rich in quality that it is medicinal. As Dr.Hyman outlines with rigorous scientific evidence, this indeed, is the real medicine. As your husband can attest- the insulin is not necessarily the most effective choice for people with insulin resistance. I can assure you that Dr. Hyman’s program is safe, sustainable, informative, and actually FUN! You and your husband will gain support from so many people in the community. Hopefully you will learn and share with our community as you will undoubtedly have much to offer as you go through the program. And of course, the nutrition coaching is such an important component. The gift of 1 month free coaching makes other Doc’s think Dr. Hyman is crazy for providing this service as usually this component of a program comes with a pricey fee. It is an offer you shouldnt pass up and is available to you right now! You can always cancel if you are not satisfied. Actually, you can even ask the community about the coaching service and the program in general to see if it is the right fit for you!
      To learn more, visit:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/

6. Russ Waugh June 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Hi:
    I have several books by Dr Hyman, courtesy of Amazon, but at 80-I hate to read- my doctor is concerned about my triglycerides and from Dr Hymans book that spells diabetes. After skimming “Blood Sugar Solution” I took the test on Before and After (Digestion) and I estimated I went off the charts. I hate to cook and or read, have become a couch potato. (lost my wife after 56yrs-now I know how much she did for me) Can you help me with a diet. I am reliable when it comes to following instructions.
    I see that you really take a lot of time with your answers and after seeing Dr Hyman on our public broadcasting station, his presentations are show business quality and fun to watch. I’ll await your advice. Sincerely, Russ

7. バーバリー ポロシャツ メンズ November 1, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance. I must say you have done a superb job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog!