Vegetable Tofu Scramble
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In:
This hearty, gluten-free entree also makes a nice breakfast. The tofu absorbs the flavor of the vegetables as it browns on the outside.
- 1 Package (14 oz) Firm Tofu
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Shallots finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Bell Pepper diced (about 1/2 medium pepper)
- 1 Cup Shiitake Mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Tomato diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic minced
- 3/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano Minced
- 12 Each Chives Snipped into small pieces
- Cut the tofu into 2 equal pieces. Slice each piece in half, horizontally, making a total of 4 slices. To press and drain the tofu, place the slices in a single layer, on a shallow dish or tray, with paper towels underneath and on top of the tofu. Place another dish or tray on top the tofu and weight it down with several cans of food or a heavy skillet. Refrigerate for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and red pepper and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, tomato, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the tofu, oregano, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the tofu has browned. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with the chives.